Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Mysterious Mysteries!

 In my genre studies in December, I read The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.  It is about a detective named Sherlock Holmes who solves mysteries with his assistant Mr. Watson.  My favorite of the mysteries was the Case of the Six Napoleons, which was funny because a man was smashing plaster busts of Napoleon to find a stolen black pearl.  After I finished the book, my mom said my next project would be to try and write my own mystery story.  It took me the entire month of January!  In my mystery that follows, The Case of The Triangular Book, I used detectives, witnesses, a secret, a crime, and one red herring.  It is all about a detective named Alex Sampson, who is asked to find a stolen book.  He finds not only the book, but a surprising secret.  In the process of writing this, I developed a greater respect for the people who are professional mystery writers.  It is challenging to reconstruct a crime and tie up all the loose ends at the conclusion of a mystery!  Hope you enjoy my story! (And thanks to Mom for typing this story up for me!)

2 comments:

  1. you should check out the Sherlock Holmes that have appeared on screen. My mom's favorite is Nigel Rathbone. My kids love Jeremy Brett (who you can also see in a film called "My Fair Lady.") There's the recent blockbuster with Robert Downey Jr.

    Recently the BBC began a series of modern day Sherlock Holmes mysteries. I was VERY skeptical. With a guy named Benedict Cumberbatch playing Sherlock, can you blame me? But it is fantastic and possibly the best Sherlock of all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the heads up! I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete