Monday, September 20, 2010

The War of the Worlds

In my genre studies I was reading the adaptation of H.G. Wells's science fiction novel The War of the Worlds. It's about a man who survived an attack by the Martians and how he lives through the disaster. In the adaptation they say people are being wiped out, but they don't go into the details. I read some parts of the original - it was really cool! The original is a truly a fascinating tale, but the adaptation...not as much. For example, the main character in the original had to gnaw on the bones of dead animals for food. In the adaptation they said he got food from houses. They probably didn't include the part about the dead animals in the adaptation because they didn't want to scare little children. I loved the gruesome details!!! If you read this story I say read the original!

4 comments:

  1. Keep up the good work, Wyatt! Sounds like you're learning a lot!!



    Uncle Wes

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of your best posts yet! I laughed out loud at the bit about the food. Keep this coming: in a few years, I'll be peer-pressuring you into reading "Sense and Sensibility" (for the villains) or "Pride and Prejudice" (a lighter read, not as many or as good villains).
    I think the original is often the better bet. The gross details are the best part!

    This is, by far, my favourite post of yours ever. As much as I love Rube Goldberg, I liked how you talked more about what you thought, in this. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm.... HG Wells is not one of my all time favorites. I do really enjoy Jules Verne.

    Here's a story: Bella is named for Bella Ward who was once married to a guy named Raymond Burr. When the producers were making the original Godzilla movie they needed an English speaking guy for the part of "The Reporter". They didn't have a lot of money so they hired Raymond Burr for one day. He flew to Japan and they put him in front of a green screen and worked him for 24 hours straight. (Talk about a long day.)

    You should check out that Godzilla movie. The special effects were special for their time, but today they look pretty, well, you look and tell me what you think!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew Bella Ward well way back in 1960 when we were both involved in the Kent County Theatre Guild in Dover, Delaware. I was a 19 year old disc jockey at WKEN Radio, and she was Joan of Arc in a production of The Lark, in which I played her priest/confessor. She had many funny tales of Hollywood and Raymond Burr. Strangely enough, my girlfriend at the time later got married to Vince Polo and they had a daughter, Teri Polo, now a successful movie actress.

    ReplyDelete